Medium is a blogging platform that was created in 2012 by Blogger and the co-founders of Twitter, Biz Stone, and Evan Williams. The site was designed as a publishing platform to help people create stunning content and get their stories out. The site is trying to be the best of several different platforms and offer a writer the chance to earn money from what they’ve written. The blogging platform is free to join and you can create and host a variety of stories on your own personal blog or weblog. After spending some time on the site it is easy to join the partner program and start earning some money from what you’ve written.
When you join the site it is a bit different than other blogging platforms. This site is a blogging platform, a hybrid site that is similar to Reddit, and also a social network like Twitter where there is timeline feeds on the site. Furthermore, the site doesn’t pay much attention to the reverse chronological order of the posts that are added to the site. The home page of the site is a combination of the posts written by the in-house writing staff and different user publications.
How Does It Work?
- If you’re interested in creating your own personal blog or weblog it is easy to join the site. You can create an account using your Facebook or Twitter account. The site now has to option that you can join using your Google login information.
- If you sign up with your social media account, the site will take the information from your profile and add it to your profile on the site. You’ll need to allow Medium access to your profile information on Facebook or Twitter.
- If you have decided to create your account using your Google email address, the site will send you a verification code to confirm your email address.
- After confirming your email address, the site requires you to submit your credit card information before your account can be created.
- Once your account has been created and approved, you are free to go to your dashboard and start writing your content to post on your personal weblog.
Writing Content On Medium:
- In your dashboard, you’ll find all that you need to start writing content for your account.
- The editor is very basic and very simple. The editor supplies you with a line to enter your title and a place to enter your text. The text editor uses a popup menu if you want to format the text in the text editor. You’ll need to highlight the text to be formatted and use the popup menu to choose what you’d like to do. The popup menu has all the editing features for selecting headings, bold text, italic, centering your text, adding quotes and even links.
- It is easy to publish your work on the site. You have two option to publish your content. You can select to just publish your post or you can submit your work for publication.
- The site doesn’t have any open submission and each time you submit an article for publication, you’ll need to have it approved.
- If you want to submit your work for publication, you’ll need to use the “New Publication” button at the top of the page. The publication editor is a bit easier to use, you’ll need to enter your tags, title and make sure you have an Avatar on your account.
How To Earn Money From Medium:
- In order to earn money from the site, you must join the Medium Membership program.
- The cost of the program is $5 a month or $50 for the year.
- You can pay the membership with your PayPal account or with a credit card.
- As a paying member on the site you have many different benefits:
- You’ll receive unlimited free access to all the stories that are posted on Medium.
- The company sends you out a copy of their monthly magazine that includes themed collections and exclusive columnists.
- You have access to thousands of audio versions of the popular stories on the site.
- As a paying member on the site, you’ll have access to every story that is published. The site also has a metered paywall that you can earn money from. The stories are marked with a star.
- Each time you read a story or clap for a story, the author of this story earns money.
- Each time a person gives you a clap on an article you’ve written, you’ll earn a small percentage of their membership fees.
How Are You Paid?
- In order to be paid from this site, you’ll need to create a Stripe account.
- You will need to use your legal name in order to create this account and not your screen name that you use o the site.
- To set up this account, you’ll need a US phone number and a US bank account. This is for a Strip Express Account.
- If you live outside the US, it will be necessary that you set up a Stripe Standard account or a Stripe Business account.
- The money you earn from the site is based on your articles and how people interact with them. The more people read your article and give you a clap, the higher your earnings will be.
- You can also earn a portion of the ad revenue from your different articles.
- On the site, I’ve seen a few people who’ve earned close to $1000 for a single article. The article was fantastic, well written, and most of the members on the site read this article and gave the person a clap.
- The site doesn’t indicate how much you need in your account before they will send you your payment.
This is a legitimate site that you can join for free or you have the option to pay a monthly membership to earn money from this site. It is a blogging type of platform that allows you to write content and place the content on your own person weblog or submit the content for publication. You’ll need to join the site and pay the monthly subscription fee if you want to have your articles published on the site and earn money from what you’ve written. You have the possibility as a paid member of the site to earn money from the ads that are placed on your published articles. The site is using Stripe to pay its members and you’ll need to create a Stripe account before you are paid.