Tigerfish Transcribing is a company that transcribes audio tapes into readable text. The company is always looking for transcribers to join and if you live in the United States and are 18 years of age or older you can join this company. You don’t need any previous experience transcribing audio tapes in order to apply for the company. Like all transcribing companies, there will be a test for you to take before you can be hired. The company requires that you have a phone they can contact you on. Furthermore, you’ll need your own computer and a high-speed internet connection. After you’ve been hired the company requires that you buy a program to do the work with.
How Does It Work?
- You must live in the United States in order to apply to this company.
- The company requires that you are 18 years of age or older in order to apply for a job.
- You will need to own your own computer in order to work at home for this company.
- You’re required to have a high-speed internet connection in order to download the orders and send them back to the company once they are completed.
- Before you decide to take the test the company will have you download their styling guide. The guide will tell you how they expect the documents formatted. In order to take the test and past the test it will be necessary for you to study this guide and understand the format the company uses.
- There are 3 audio files that you must download from the website and transcribe for the company during the test.
- Each audio file is around 5 minutes long and must be formatted according to the document that you downloaded.
- When you’ve completed the test it will be sent back to the company in an email.
- When sending in the files, you’ll need to send in an essay about yourself, select the subjects you are familiar with, and how many hours a week you want to work.
- The company is also interested in which days each week you can work and the time of the day you’re available.
- Once the test has been completed, you’ll need to fill out the application form for the company.
- The company will require you to tell them how long it took you to transcribe each of the audio files.
- If you pass the test the company will notify you.l
- At this time you’ll be required to purchase a good headset and foot pedal to use for the job.
- The company also requires that you purchase Start Stop’s Power Play for Windows media to do the transcribing jobs with. The program cost is $250 for the software.
- The total application process may take up to 3 weeks before you hear back from the company.
How Much Can You Earn?
- The company doesn’t pay by audio minutes but will pay by how many words you transcribe for each audio tape.
- You will earn $0.005 for each word you transcribe.
- As a new transcriber, it will take you around 20 to 30 minutes to transcribe an audio tape of 1000 words. Therefore, you’ll earn $5 for the work that is completed.
- As you get familiar with the job it is possible to earn a higher rate of pay because it will take less time to transcribe the jobs.
- The company isn’t disclosing how they pay you for the work that you do. Therefore, it is hard to say if you are paid monthly, weekly, or even bi-weekly. Furthermore, they don’t even indicate if they pay you through a direct deposit or your PayPal account.l
This is a legitimate company to work for at home as a transcriber. The application process is simple and requires you to download and transcribe 3 different audio tapes. You’ll need to fill out the application and send the company an essay about yourself. Once you’re hired the company requires you to purchase a piece of software that you’ll use to transcribe the audio tapes with on your home computer. The software cost between $200 to $250 dollars depending on where you purchase the program. This can be quite difficult for a person who is just starting out and doesn’t have a budget to purchase the program so they can work. Just keep this in mind if you want to work for this company.