Ai-Media is a company that offers live captioning, transcriptions, and closed captioning services. The company hires freelance captioners or transcribers to work for them. Currently, they are only hiring people who live in the United States, the United Kingdom and in Australia. The job of live captioning is very similar to transcribing an audio tape. However, with live or closed captioning, you’ll be working with videos or movies and typing the spoken text at the bottom of the screen. The company will provide you with all the tools you need to do this job and they have a 4 to 6-hour training class which you must take in order to start.
How Does it Work?
- The company is hiring native English speakers who are proficient in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- You must apply for the job from the company and fill out the application. If there isn’t any job opening at the time the company will have you send them your CV to keep on file. When the company has a job opening they will contact you.
- When you complete the application, the company will do a background check on you. This is standard for anyone they hire.
- The main skills a captioner should have a good command of the English language both colloquially and formally.
- You’ll need to be able to type the spoken word using the software provided for you so that the captions you type flow smoothly from one screen to another.
- You need a computer with an internet connection in order to do this job.
- The software only works on a Windows machine. You can use a MAC as long as you can install Windows on the machine.
- You will need to use the Chrome browser to work with the software correctly.
- In order to understand how the software works and what your job will be, the company has you go through a training class.
- The class is 4 to 6 hours long.
- This is a fast-paced class that will teach you how to use the software, how to sync up your captions with the videos, and how to use the respeaking software to have your voice turned into the caption file.
- The course is not paid and you’ll need to pass this class before you can begin working with this company.
- One of the captioning techniques you’ll be working with is respeaking.
- The captions will be produced through a voice recognition technology. Here you’ll be using special software that will capture your voice and produce a text document.
- You will be listening to an audio source such as a video, live event, or even a telephone conversation.
- You will be speaking into a microphone and repeating exactly what you’ve heard. You will add the punctuation and sound effects as you speak.
- The microphone is connected to a special voice recognition software that will transfer your voice to a test or caption file.
- You will see the text appear on the screen as you are talking.
- After the transcript of the audio has been completed, it is your job to correct any problems and regulate the text that was typed on the screen.
- The text needs to be in sync with the video’s audio in order to be correct and produce the caption file.
- You will also do live events that you’ll listen to broadcasts via Wi-Fi and see the viewer’s device in real time. This works the same way as the capture, recording does for videos. When the captions are done and displayed on the screen, you’ll need to edit the files and make sure they sync up with the video.
- You will be using a stenotype machine to type in shorthand commands to produce the transcript.
- You will be listening to the audio tape and use shorthand commands to record the spoken words. This can be from a video, live broadcast, or even a phone conversation. You will need to type in the shorthand commands for each work, punctuation, and sound you hear on the recording.
- The machine is linked to your computer and will receive the captioned words in real time. You’ll be able to see the shorthand words appear on the screen as you are typing them into the machine.
- The company also offers transcribing jobs that you can do.
- As a transcriber, you’ll be listening to the audio tapes and creating a text document.
How Much Can You Earn?
- Each job pays a different price.
- Depending on the length of the video or the audio file you are working on.
- According to the site, you can make $27 to $42 per video hour. Just keep in mind this isn’t your pay rate for the number of hours you work on the video or audio file.
- Each video hour will normally take you around 3 hours to complete the job.
- This includes your typing time, editing time, research and replay time you spend on the video or audio file.
How Are You Paid?
- The company pays every two weeks.
- The money you earn is sent to your PayPal account.
This is a legitimate company to work for. If you have any transcribing experience this is an excellent job to apply for. The company does transcribe of audio tapes and also captioning for movies, video files, live broadcasts and more. You will need to take a training class through the company that isn’t paid. In your training, they will teach you how to use the different equipment and what is expected from you. The company will perform a background check on you before you are able to work with them. You will be working as a freelance typist and the company will supply you with the work.