Beta Family is a website that tests different apps on Android, iOS, and wearable devices. An app developer will use the site to have their app tested for bugs or errors before going live. As a beta tester, you’ll be testing the app and looking for any bugs in the app. At the end of the test, you report all the bugs you’ve found and also tell the app developer what you thought of their new app. In order to become a beta tester on this site, you’ll need an Android device, iOS device or a wearable device. Beta testing can be very interesting and you’ll find some interesting apps that you can keep and use on your mobile devices.
How Does it Work?
- You’ll need to go to the website and create an account.
- When signing up to the site it is necessary that you pay attention to the sign-up process. The sign-up page is used for companies or beta testers. Make sure you click on the right tab.
- You can sign up to the site using your Facebook account, Google account, or your email address and password.
- Once your account has been created and verified, you’ll need to add your Android, iOS or wearable device to your account.
- You’ll find this on your Profile tab.
- If you add an iOS device, you’ll need to add your UDID number.
- The company will send any iOS device registered an email. The email link must be opened in Safari on your iOS device.
- This will automatically send the data from your iOS device to the website and they’ll register your UDID number.
- The web app developers will need to add this number to the apps that are being tested before they send you the app.
- Complete your profile information. This will help the app developers to select you as a tester.
How Does The Testing Work?
- The website offers free beta tests and paid beta tests.
- As a brand new beta tester, it will be necessary for you to participate in some free beta testing of apps.
- You’ll need to check the site from time to time to see if there are any new tests you can take. The company doesn’t notify you by email.
- Checking the site will give you a better chance to be paid for one of the tests. Considering the selection process is rather difficult, the faster you can apply could increase your chances of being selected.
- Each beta test will be evaluated and graded. You’ll receive a score for the tests you’ve taken.
- When a paid beta test is posted on the site, each beta tester must apply for the test.
- The web app developer will select the testers from the applicants.
- There is always a limited place for beta testers and this is why your rating is so important.
- After completing a paid beta test the developer will rate your test and give you a score.
- Normally, if you do any beta testing on the site, the developer will give you a list of what needs to be tested.
- You’ll be looking for problems in the app, errors, and the different functions that aren’t working correctly.
- Keep track of the bugs and what you’ve found out when testing the app.
- At the end of the test, you’ll need to write up a report for the developer.
- In the report, you’ll give the developer a list of the bug and tell them what you thought about this app.
- A paid beta test on the site will be indicated by a $5 or a $10 in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. If you don’t see a dollar sign, the test is a free test.
- You are not obligated to take the free test, however, if you do take these tests it raises your score on the site and gives you a better opportunity to be picked for the paid test.
How Are You Paid?
- You are not paid for the free test you take. They are done to help improve your score so that you might get selected for the paid tests.
- Each paid test that the developer selects you for will either earn you $5 or $10 for the completed test.
- The payment will appear in your account after the test has been completed and the developer has evaluated all the tests.
- This can take up to 30 days to see the money in your account.
- You will need a balance of $50 in your account before you can request a payment from the company.
- You are not automatically paid when you reach $50 in your account, it is up to you to send the company a payment request.
- The company will take 30 days to process your payment request.
- The payments are sent out through PayPal.
My Thoughts About the Site:
- This is a nice site and they do offer some interesting tests for you to take.
- However, as a new beta tester, it will take quite a bit of time for you to build up your rating with the site. Therefore, you end up doing quite a few free tests for the company. It will take you several weeks up to a few months before you are selected to do your first paid test on the site.
- This can be very discouraging as a new beta tester. You are working for free for this company and it seems very unfair.
- I found a few of the app developers will take their time to give you credit for the tests you completed.
- Unless you keep track of the tests and your payment, you’ll miss a few of the payments that are owed to you. They will forget to give you credit or the app developer will not give you credit for the test.
This is a legitimate site and you are paid for testing different apps on Android, iOS and wearable devices. However, it is very difficult to be selected as a beta tester, therefore, you end up doing a multitude of free test to try and improve your score. If you’d like to become a beta test and test different apps, just keep in mind that there are a large number of testers already on this site. Each test that you do has a limited number of testers the developer will select. What I liked about this site was the different types of apps you can test. There were some nice apps that you can keep installed on your device and continue to use.