Verge Magazine is a travel magazine that is designed to help everyone change the planet for the better. Since 2002 the online magazine has published articles about people working, studying, and volunteering abroad. Verge magazine is one of Canada’s largest travel, volunteer, study and work magazine online. The company is always looking for freelance writers who travel, work, or study overseas. Your stories and experiences are what the magazine is looking for. If you are a freelance writer and a traveler, it is possible to write about your experience. The magazine is always looking for great articles.
What Type of Articles Does Verge Look For?
- The magazine chooses articles that are informative and motivated.
- They look for articles that portray unique personal experiences, timely events, and relevant information.
- Write articles that can tell a well-told story, how to information, engaging subjects and include many sources to help your article and the readers.
- Add external sources to help the readers find other information about your article if they re interested.
- Include information about your flight, hotel accommodations, meals or tours if they apply.
- Let the people know if you received a discount or a free or reduced rate flights to inspire you to take the trip.
- Let the readers know if you arrived at our destination to work or to volunteer.
- If a company, organization or even a tourism board hired you, include this in your article.
What Should Article Include?
- You need to provide sidebars that will be useful to the reader and the subject you’re writing about.
- If you have any photos these should accompany your article.
- The site like you to add a travel component if it applies to your article. This will provide the information for the reader to get involved.
- Your article should be 800 words long.
What Aer the Different Types Of Articles You Can Write?
- Worldwise: these types of articles will provide information about social, cultural, political issues and problems in a region, how they are being addressed, unreported events, and should reveal some facts that are unusual or not well-known about the place.
- Workwhere: the stories about working overseas, or living your dream by moving or working overseas.
- Global Classroom: These types of articles are based on education or different ways to study abroad. This can include different learning or teaching opportunities abroad.
- Out There: If you are engaging in different types of activities that are breaking news, about the environment, or even international development.
- Your Environment: The article should cover specific or unreported news about people who are engaged in ways to address these issues.
- Volum Traveller: Deals with stories about volunteering work, international development, or working with a certain nonprofit organization abroad.
- Feature Articles: The article must be 2000 to 2500 words long. Normally, there is a major competition for these stories and if you’ve never been published by the magazine in the past, you’ll need to submit your pitch to the company. However, the site would prefer you to work on and submit a few articles for the departments first.
- Photographs: It is important that you supply the magazine with high-quality photos to accompany your article. If you have a problem with this, then it is up to you to tell the magazine where they can find the photos they need.
Proposals and Submissions:
- It isn’t possible for the magazine to replay to each person who submits a proposal or an article to be considered.
- If the company is interested in your ide, they will replay to all manuscripts or query within 8-weeks.
- The company won’t accept any queries or follow-up by phone.
How To Pitch Your Article:
- When pitching your article you must answer the most important questions about your article.
- Let the company know what it is about and why type of message you’re trying to communicate.
- What section on the site will your article appear?
- Let them know how you’ll be approaching the subject and the angle you plan on using.
- What type of information do you already have, do you need more research, or are you waiting for a few other interviews.
- You’ll need the title, deck, and lead. Supply a few samples or just one sample of the title you plan on using.
- Write up a good outline for your article.
- Let them know if you have photos that will go with your article.
- Tell the magazine about yourself.
How Does the Company Pay?
- If you’re a first-time contributor to the site, they’ll pay you $0.10 CAD per word.
- The rate includes the photos that you send in with your work. You’re not paid extra for your photos.
- Your payment is in Canadian dollars and will be paid out 45 days after the release date of your article.
- The company sends each person a check.
This is a fantastic opportunity for freelance writers who work overseas, study abroad, or have worked for a nonprofit agency. The magazine is legitimate and will pay you for your articles and photos. If you’ve never written for the magazine before, it is a good idea to send the company a pitch before starting your article. If they are interested in your idea, you’ll hear back from them by email and can start to write your article.
Download Grammarly today for free. The best online grammar and spell checkers ever.