Oatmeal Studios is a greeting card company that has grown over the years to become one of the top humorous greeting card companies in the world. The company has over 250 designs for all occasions and occasionally adds new designs to their collections. The company adds new releases to their greeting card collection monthly. The company was purchased in 2011 by North Adams Massachusetts based printer Excelsior Printing Company. Currently, all the cards are printed and the base of operations is now in western MA. However, the company still maintains their presence in Rochester, VT.
- When writing for the company it’s important to remember that the verses you write will be used in cards and notepads.
- Therefore, it’s important to write your message as if you’re talking to another person.
- Your message should read like a person talks. Therefore, when composing your poem or message imagine that you’re talking to another person.
- When you’ve completed your message, read it again, and now ask yourself, “Would you buy this card”.
- The company is based on humor and wants your work to be funny.
- If you are wondering if your work is actually funny, read it to a few people and look at their reaction. If this makes them laugh, then yes, your work is funny.
- The idea is to be wild and keep in mind the type of cards you select to send to your friends.
- Your poetry or verses should be sendable for a large audience of people. The company doesn’t want you to be too specific.
- Give them an idea of the picture you have in mind. If you can’t draw, then describe this to them. Your card ideas are based around the verses and the image of the card. They need to understand what you have in mind.
- When writing your card consider the card needs to be written for an occasion. Whether it is a birthday, a relatives birthday, a get well card, goodbye, love you, miss you, new baby or even an anniversary. Your ideas are important and they want to hear them.
What the Company Rejects Immediately:
- No need to write a pun or even puns, the company won’t read them and reject them immediately.
- The company will reject any gross ideas or anything that is cruel. This is inappropriate and they won’t even consider your proposal.
- Furthermore, they don’t like lengthy poetry or prose.
- Your ideas can’t be narrowly focused either. This just won’t work for the company.
Submitting Your Proposal To the Company:
- Keep it simple and keep it easy. The company prefers you to send them an email. You can email your proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The email needs your name and address on every email and attachment you send in.
- If you decide to mail in your proposal, you’ll also need your name and address on each sheet of typewritten work you submit to the company.
- When writing your proposal it’s important to tell the company where the text is to go. If the text is for the front of the card you’ll need to use an ( O ) before the text.
- For the inside of the card, use “am or ( I )” before the text.
- Your email attachment can’t be larger than 1MB. The company likes to keep these small.
- If you’d like to mail in your proposal please send it to Editorial Department, Oatmeal Studios, P.O. Box 191, Rochester, VT 05767.
How Does the Company Pay?
- When reviewing your proposals the company will select the ones that will work for them.
- Afterward, you’ll be contacted by email.
- The terms, payment, and usage rights will be outlined in the email.
- At this time you can either accept or reject the company’s offer to use your work.
- The company keeps the payment between them and the writers. They don’t advertise how much they’ll pay a person to use their work.
This is a legitimate company and has been in business since 1978. The company will only accept your proposals and ideas through email or snail mail. You can submit your ideas to the company for consideration. If the company loves your idea, you’ll be contacted to discuss the terms, payment, an agreement with the company to use your work. This is an excellent way to earn a little extra cash. The company is always looking for humorous ideas that can be used in their greeting cards.