Blue Mountain Arts is a greeting card company that encourages people to submit their poetry. The poems are published on greeting cards, on the site, and in their books. The cards that the company publishes are unique and designed to capture genuine emotions on different topics. The company also holds poetry contests and pays out three prizes. The winner of the yearly contest will have their poetry displayed on the site.
What Type Of Poems Does the Company Want?
- The site looks mainly for contemporary poetry or prose that expresses how you feel. These types of expression or feelings can’t be put into words, but can easily be written in poetry.
- The piece should capture a genuine emotional feeling about family, love, friendship, a real-life subject, or how much you miss a person in your life.
- An easy way to write this type of poetry is to think of a special person in your life. Write the verses with them in mind. This makes it easier to write the verses and it is what the site looks for when selecting their poetry to publish.
- Before starting your piece, visit the site and look around. Get a feeling of what the site accepts.
- Afterward, compose your piece and try to express a new, unique, and creative way in your work. Don’t follow the typical types of poetry that are popular online. Find a new voice to express your feeling in writing.
What The Site Doesn’t Accept:
- The site won’t accept or pay for poetry that rhymes, is humorous, one-liners, or has religious meaning.
- Don’t overuse words and phrases like a gift, hugs, birthday wishes, special, missing you, or angel.
- If you want to write poetry about your mother, daughter, son, or loved ones, it must be unique and refreshing. The company receives too many submissions for this type of poetry. However, if you can give it a different, refreshing, and unique feeling, they’ll consider using it.
- Furthermore, avoid using the following phrases in your poetry:
- You were always there for me
- I remember when you were a baby
- I’m so proud of you
- You are my dream come true
How to Submit Your Poetry:
- The company accepts submission through the mail or by email.
- If you’d like to send your submission to the company, address the envelope to Blue Mountain Arts Editorial Department, P.O. Box 1007, Boulder, CO 803306.
- You may submit more than one piece of poetry at a time. However, each poem must be typewritten and you can only submit one poem per page.
- Make sure you include your name on every page that you send in.
- If you’d like the company to respond back to you, or return the poems they don’t use, you must include a stamped self-address envelope with your submission.
- The envelope must have the correct postage paid otherwise; the company won’t send back your poems.
- Furthermore, if you change your address, email address, or phone number, you must inform the site of these changes.
- You can submit your poetry by email. Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you submit your poetry by email, you must include all your submission on one email. Don’t send any attachments with the email.
- Each email must include your full name, home address, and phone number.
- The company sends out a reply to emails within 1 to 2 weeks.
- However, if you don’t hear back from the company within 4 months, it means that your submission is no longer under consideration and won’t be used on the site.
- All mail submission will receive a letter from the company within 2 to 4 months if your poetry has been selected for further review.
- The company does accept submission by mail or email outside the US. However, your poetry must be submitted in English to be considered by the company.
- Furthermore, the company does accept the seasonal submission, but there is a deadline and this must be met. You can send in seasonal submission for the following year by these dates:
- Christmas and General Holidays must be received by July 15th.
- Valentine’s Day submission deadline is September 12th.
- Easter deadline is November 8th.
- Mother’s Day deadline is December 13th.
- Father’s Day deadline is February 7th.
How Does the Company Pay?
- If the company selects your poetry for exclusive right to publish in their greeting cards or other products, you’re paid $300.
- The company can also purchase your poetry for one-time use in a book and they pay you $50 for your submission.
- Before the company publishes your poetry, you’ll receive a letter or email explaining the publication procedures. No work will be published before you read and accept the terms from the site.
- Furthermore, there is no need to copyright your work before submitting it to the company.
This is a legitimate company and they pay for each piece of poetry they use in their greeting cards or books. The company has been in business for years and has a top A+ rating with the online community. If you’d like to write for this company, it’s important that you follow the guideline. Otherwise, the company won’t accept your submission.