TranscribeMe is a web-based service provider that is located in Berkeley, CA. The company provides a service that will transcribe any audio content into highly accurate text. The company transcribes tapes that are single or multi-speakers. Furthermore, the company offers their service to transcribe tapes in multiple languages. The company offers transcribing services in English, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, German, French, and Italian. The company hires transcriber’s worldwide and currently has over 30,000 crowd-sourced transcribers working for them. If you’ve never done this type of work before and would like an opportunity to try, then this is the perfect company for you. They are always looking for new people to join their team and don’t require any previous experience to join.
How Does It Work?
- In order to apply to the company, you must be 18 years of age or older.
- The company looks for people who have a high school diploma or a GED.
- You’ll need to fill in the online application to apply for the job.
- The company requires you to take a grammar test and a transcribing test before you start working. You’ll be asked to transcribe a few audio files during the test.
- You don’t need to live in the United States to apply for this job. The company hires transcribers worldwide.
- However, you’ll need a strong command of the English language in order to do this job. Many of the tapes that you’ll transcribe are in English. However, the company does transcribe tapes in other languages.
- You’ll also need to have strong grammar skills and be able to recognize American English accents and speech. The same holds true for all the languages that TranscribeMe supports.
- According to the website the company offers a training program for you. If you pass the training program, you’ll be hired to work for the company.
- A decent typing speed with no errors is a benefit when working for this company.
- If you fail the test the first time, the company allows you to take the test again. You’ll need to wait 24 hours before taking the test a second time.
What Experience or Skills Are Needed?
- You won’t need any previous transcribing experience to join the company.
- The only skill the company requires is your English grammar skills.
- This is very important to have strong English grammar skills to work for this company.
What Equipment Do You Need?
- You’ll need your own desktop or laptop computer.
- It is a good idea to have Windows 7 or higher installed on your device.
- You’ll also need to install Chrome on your computer.
- Finally, you’ll need an internet connection in order to do the work.
- You will find it easier to transcribe audio tapes if you have a good headset and a foot pedal. The headset will help to cut down on the background noise when listening to the audio tapes and the foot pedal will make it easier to start and stop the audio tapes. This isn’t a requirement, however, after working with audio tapes for a long period of time, you’ll find out it helps to have this equipment to use.
How Many Hours Can You Work?
- The company isn’t strict on how many hours you work each day or week.
- As long as there is work available, you are free to choose full-time or part-time work.
How Much Does the Company Pay?
- The company pays $20 for each audio hour transcribed. This works out to $0.33 per audio minute.
- You’re only paid on the audio tape minutes and not how long it has taken you to transcribe this tape.
- The company pays a higher rate on different projects and transcribing tapes in another language.
- The company does pay bonuses to the transcribers who don’t make errors and turn in quality work.
What Type of Opportunities Does the Company Offer?
- The company will promote transcribers to Quality Assurance agents once they’ve proved their skills as a transcriber. You’ll need to submit quality transcriptions to the company that contains no mistakes. This will take time to prove your skills, but as long as you keep submitting quality work to the company, they’ll ask you to become a Quality Assurance agent.
- There are also other jobs available for special projects teams and captioning transcription teams.
- These positions offer a higher rate of pay than their standard transcription jobs offer.
How Does the Company Pay?
- Every Tuesday the company pays their transcribers.
- You’ll need a $10 balance in your account before you can request payment.
- The company sends out payments through PayPal.
This is a legitimate company to work for and they pay their transcribers on a weekly basis. Furthermore, this is a great opportunity to learn to transcribe because the company doesn’t require you to have any transcribing experience. If you’ve always wanted to try this type of work here is your chance. As long as you are 18 years old, have a high school diploma, and an understanding of the English language then you can apply for this position. The rate per hour is $20 for each audio hour you transcribe. Just keep in mind you won’t earn $20 an hour transcribing audio tapes. It will take time to transcribe each tape and submit your work to the company for approval.